The Newsteo radio transmission protocol on 868 MHz
The Newsteo solution is optimized for en easy integration and efficient operation.
The transmission operates on free ISM Band (868 MHz in Europe). The ISM bands (industrial, scientific, and medical) are frequencies which can be used freely (free of charge and without authorization) for industrial, scientist and medical applications. The unlicensed ISM bands below 1GHz are widely used for various consumer and industrial applications where long range, system cost, and long battery life concerns are critical. Applications in these market segments are diverse and can include home automation, security, industrial control, remote sensing, automatic meter reading, toys, weather stations, among many other consumer applications.
The advantages of the 868 MHz radio transmission
The ISM band frequencies enable to have a compact radio bridge with a high range:
- In free space and with a ¼ wavelength antenna (i.e. only 8,6cm), the range is up to 800 m
- Radiofrequencies can go through out concrete walls
- The transmission is not disturbed by obstacles such as human bodies (this is the case for Wifi and Bluetooth technologies at 2,4 GHz)
- Interferences are rare because this frequency is only used for industrial, scientist and medical applications.
Due to excellent propagation characteristics at sub-GHz frequencies, greatly extended ranges can be obtained at much lower current consumptions than from to the 2.4GHz band solutions. In addition, these sub-GHz bands are free from microwave, WiFi and Bluetooth interference making links substantially more robust than their 2.4GHz counterpart solutions.
The Newsteo communication protocol is:
- Optimized to operate with a limited power in order to have a portable solutions powered by simple lithium batteries.
- Tough enough to endure industrial conditions.